Language proficiency, new cultural perspectives, career preparation – few of the many skills students acquire while abroad. But hold the phone…career skills? Gained from studying abroad? You better believe it! The experiences students encounter, the excursions they’ll embark on, the courses they’ll take, all contribute to their future careers.
As we all know, the job market is bleak and students are looking for ways to make themselves stand out amongst others. While study abroad acts as one way to do this, hiring managers want to see more from study abroad students than just the fact they studied abroad. They want to see the tangible benefits and skills their future employees possess – many of which students develop while abroad.
That’s why, CEA’s created a new and exciting Global Career Development Certificate program for this upcoming Fall 2012 semester. This certificate will help students articulate the skills today’s hiring managers are seeking in job candidates, and also assist them in mapping out their future career paths – all while studying abroad.
Available in our Barcelona, Florence and Paris programs (and in the future, many other destinations), the Global Career Development Certificate program gives students the tools they’ll need to form a game plan in determining a solid career focus. Students will:
- Gain first-hand insight into a desired career path from a professional in the field
- Spend valuable time with a dedicated career mentor
- Develop a resume and cover letter to effectively showcase their study abroad experience
- Learn how to meaningfully articulate their study abroad experience
- And lots more!
There are two required components of CEA’s new Global Career Development Certificate:
The first is a one credit Career Development Seminar in which students will meet once a week to explore their field of interest and learn practical skills necessary to succeed in a career on a global level.
The Career Externship acts as the second component of this program, and gives students the opportunity to pair with a Career Mentor who lives and works in their host communities. Students experience the different career options that exist within their desired fields through their Career Mentors, and will come to view their future careers in a global context.
To enroll in the Global Career Development Certificate, students:
- Apply to study abroad in Barcelona, Florence or Paris
- Select Career Development Seminar and CEA Externship from the course list for their host city
- Fill out a personal statement form sent via email by their site specialist describing their major and career goals
- Open to any major
- CEA will make every effort to match students with mentors in their chosen fields
- Placements based on availability – mentors may have backgrounds in business, communications, tourism, journalism, etc.
- A program fee of $250 applies to participants