Complete a Blog Post in WordPress
WordPress Written Directions
- Receive MOJO blog login name and password via email—double check your spam folder
- Login at www.ceastudyabroadblog.com/wp-login.php
- Sample login screen:
- Dashboard pops up—feel free to hide anything on the dashboard main screen, as you won’t need it
Creating a New Post
- Go to “Posts” and “Add new” on the left column
- The compose window will pop up
Blog Post Creation Checklist
- Post Title: Something descriptive, relevant and catchy
- Blog Content: Enter your content in the section below the title (large white box). You can format similar to how you would in Word. For the blog post, we’ll stick to a standard font, font size and color for readability.
- Byline: At the end of your post, don’t forget your byline with this format: [Insert your first and first initial of your last name] is the Spring 2018 CEA MOJO [Blogger/Photographer] in [insert your CEA city], [country]. He/She is currently a [insert your year in school] studying [insert your major] at [insert your university name].
- Example: Hanna N. is the Spring 2018 CEA MOJO Blogger in London, England. She is currently a Junior studying Marketing & Economics at University of Michigan.
- Categories (right column): Only choose your host country
- Tags (right column): Insert the below list into the tags column
- [Your city]
- [Your country]
- CEA Study Abroad
- study abroad
- study abroad in [your city]
- study abroad in [your country]
- Spring 2018 MOJO in [your city]
- [your major/area of study]
- Example: London, England, CEA, CEA Study Abroad, study abroad, study abroad in London, study abroad in England, Spring 2018 MOJO in London, Marketing, Economics
Adding Photos to your Post
- Click “Add Media” below the title
- Select “upload files” under the “Insert Media” heading
- Close out of this window when your photos are done uploading.
- Go to the section in your blog that you want to insert a photo.
- Select “Insert Media” again and “check” the photo you want to insert there. Select “Insert into post.”
- Click on that photo and select the pencil icon in the top left corner.
- Update your photo with the following:
- Caption: Description you would like included in your post (e.g., Casually climbing Prague Town Hall Tower for the view of Old Town Prague)
- Alt Text: study abroad, studying abroad, study abroad in (your study abroad city)
- Format your picture with “Display Settings.”
- Set Featured Image: http://screencast.com/t/hqPmAKaQX
- Optional Header Image Graphic: display your graphic design skills with a fancy header image. This is entirely optional, but elevates your blog posts among the professionals’. See examples blow:
- Please follow the directions below to create a blog graphic (or use Photoshop or a preferred design software).
- Create an account on https://www.canva.com/
- Go to “create a design” then click “more
- Choose Blog Graphic size (800x width 1200px height) Fun fact: this size blog graphic has been tested to have the highest click through rate.
- Use your design skills to make an awesome graphic
- If you use a photo, make sure you use an original photo by uploading it into the “uploads” section
- You can download by clicking on the top right button.
Final Review & Submission
- Previewing what your blog will look like
- Note: The layout version of your post will look different than the actual version (e.g. paragraph and photo spacing).
- Preview by clicking on the ‘Preview’ button in the top left sidebar of your draft
- Saving Options (upper right corner on compose screen)
- Save: Automatically saves post in “Draft” status and allows you to save and come back to edit later.
- Submit: When you’re ready to submit a completed post, you’ll select “edit” next to “Status,” in the drop-down, choose, “Pending Review,” then the “OK” button. You’ll see the “Save as Pending Review” button appear, click that and then you’re done. The social media team will then receive a notification, proofread it and schedule it into the content calendar.
Congrats on completing a post! Watch the blog for it to be posted and then share it out on your social media account(s) (using #ceaAbroad) after the post has been published on ceastudyabroadblog.com to fulfill your social media requirements. Or, use a photo from your post on Instagram if you’re completing one of your Instagram posts.